Ikemefuna, the young boy from Mbaino, dies at 18.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

FIctional obituary for a character in the book "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe.

It has been 5 days since The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves pronounced that Ikemefuna, a young boy living in our village of Umuofia, was to be killed. Ikemefuna has departed the Earth by the gods’ requests and also because of Ikemefuna’s arrival story that took place 3 years ago.

As everybody knows, young Ikemefuna was sent to our village of Umuofia as a compensation for his father’s murder of Ogbuefi Udo’s wife. After Ikemefuna came to our village, he lived in Okonkwo’s household. He was taken care of by Okonkwo’s first wife, the mother of Okonkwo’s son, Nwoye.

Nwoye and Ikemefuna were great friends and brothers. Ikemefuna was a good elder brother, acting as a role model for Nwoye. Nwoye shares with us his memories of Ikemefuna: “He was a good brother. I wanted to be like him. I remember when we ate Locusts together during the rainy season. I was so happy. I remember sitting with him in father’s obi, listening to father’s war stories.” When Ikemefuna came to our village, he had to leave his mother and younger sister. Nwoye tells us that Ikemefuna told him of that he missed his family. “He told me of his 6 year-old sister and of his dear mother. I understood that it was because of missing them that he was often depressed and sad. Although he missed his family back in Mbaino, he was very kind to our family. He inspired me to change my ways and to act like the man my father wants me to be.”

Okonkwo’s first wife, who took care of Ikemefuna, tells us of the boy’s effect on Okonkwo. “Okonkwo treated Ikemefuna like a son. Ikemefuna called Okonkwo his ‘father’. I saw that my husband was happy with the boy; he was what he wanted Nwoye to be like.”

Ikemefuna death was decided to take place during this market week. A few Umuofia men took him to the village outskirts. Okonkwo himself followed as well. The young boy was killed by the cuts of a machete. Okonkwo’s first wife remembers the day clearly. “Oh the poor boy! He was told that he was returning back to his home village. He had no idea that his life would end. That night, Okonkwo came home looking nervous. From his behavior, I could tell that he had taken part in killing Ikemefuna. But I know that he did not want to. My husband did not eat for days and could not sleep at night.”

Ikemefuna will forever be remembered in the hearts of the many Umuofia villagers who saw the lively spirit of the young boy.



0 comments:

Post a Comment